Rome, the attractive Eternal metropolis, has a lot to supply that you can spend months right here and nonetheless have issues to find!
But throughout your go to to Rome, after ticking off the Sistine Chapel and Rome’s foremost sights, you completely should discover the opposite treasures of this wonderful nation, the place I’m fortunate sufficient to be from.
Good information for you, Rome’s central location makes it an ideal base to succeed in different unbelievable cities and historic websites close by like Naples, Pompeii, and Tivoli, simply to call just a few…All good for a day journey from Rome!
To enable you save time, I created this information with all the perfect day journeys and excursions from Rome, together with all of the locations which might be effectively price visiting and never too removed from the capital. Are you able to discover all of them with me?
If you might be in a rush
If you don’t have time to learn the entire put up, here’s a fast abstract of the highest day journeys from Rome
Here are the primary excursions to ebook prematurely:
Here’s a map with all the perfect day journeys from Rome, to point out you the place they’re positioned:
1. Eat the perfect pizza in Italy in Naples
The distinctive coastal metropolis of Naples is a MUST do day journey from Rome. Offering numerous issues to do and see while being the gateway to Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii (try day journey #3), you can simply spend per week exploring right here!
Naples, the third-largest metropolis in Italy, is a paradise for historical past buffs internet hosting a tremendous historic metropolis middle courting again 2800 years!
Did you understand that it was essentially the most bombed metropolis in Italy throughout World War II?
Here you’ll be able to go to considered one of its 400 historic church buildings, try essentially the most intensive collections of Roman Empire artifacts on the National Archaeological Museum and lose your self in its picturesque streets.
And, after all, in Naples, anticipate to strive the greatest pizza in all of Italy. I counsel Pizzeria Dal Presidente or Pizzeria Starita, or be part of a food tour of Naples to pattern all of the scrumptious meals town has to supply!
In different phrases… After visiting Rome’s most crowded attractions, the subsequent cease is unquestionably the magical metropolis of Naples!
- By Car: 2.5 hours and 225 km (miles) by way of the A1/E45
- By Train: Take a quick prepare for 1hr (Trenitalia or Italo) from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale for about €35. If you desire a cheaper choice, you’ll be able to take the slower Regionale (regional trains) for €12, 3h.
- Guided Tour: Join this full-day tour from Rome (by way of high-speed prepare) combining a go to to Pompeii and to Naples historic streets and the San Gregorio market with an area information, for €278.
2. Enjoy la dolce vita on the Amalfi Coast
With its picturesque cities constructed on rolling hills, cliffs going through the ocean, and rocky mountains because the backdrop, there’s no surprise why Amalfi Coast is considered one of Italy’s hottest vacationer locations… and for positive probably the greatest day journeys from Rome!
Located between the Bay of Naples and Salerno, simply the drive to the Amalfi Coast is an attraction itself. Enjoy the very scenic street by the area providing beautiful sea views!
During your day journey, you’ll be able to cease at any of the numerous quaint villages. You should go to a minimum of one Amalfi hill city! I like to recommend Positano and Cetara, every with a minimum of one previous church effectively price visiting, and you may even loosen up on one of many beautiful seashores within the close by cities.
Needless to say, you can’t go away the Amalfi Coast with out attempting the conventional limoncello (a liqueur constructed from Amalfi lemons), and the wonderful meals within the best Amalfi Coast restaurants!
NOTE: The Amalfi Coast area turned fashionable with celebrities and is without doubt one of the most luxurious locations in Italy, so it’s pricier than common for Italy!
P.S.: If you could have time to remain in a single day, I like to recommend extending your day journey to Capri to go to the well-known Blue Grotto on a boat tour!
- By Car: 3.5 hrs, following the A24 Autostrada (freeway) to the E45.
- By public transport: Take a train from Roma Termini to Naples Centrale Station (about 2h and €35). Walk to Naples Garibaldi station and take the bus to Meta (1 hour). In Meta, change and take the bus to Positano (30mins).
- Guided Tour: To take advantage of your go to to the Amalfi Coast, be part of this tour, throughout which you’ll discover varied cities alongside this storied stretch of shoreline, have a limoncello tasting, and go on a cruise!
3. See the traditional ruins of Pompeii
Pompeii is greatest often called the ruined metropolis for the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, courting again to the seventh century BC, and is without doubt one of the oldest historic websites in the entire world… how can it not be a MUST see?
Here you’ll stroll alongside the streets of this ruined metropolis and see the stays of two,000-year-old homes, outlets, eating places, baths, church buildings, political facilities, and even plaster physique casts of precise individuals who died within the catastrophic volcanic eruption. This is a really genuine means of studying how life was in Roman occasions.
You can both ebook your tickets online for €16, or go to the ticket workplaces at Pompeii’s foremost entrances (Porta Marina, Piazza Anfiteatro, and Piazza Esedra) for a similar value, however you could discover lengthy queues.
From the Pompeii ruins, additionally it is potential to hike to the summit of Mount Vesuvius, providing you beautiful views down into the crater of the still-active volcano, and the attractive landscapes throughout! Reaching the trailhead will take you round 30-minutes by bus and visiting it can value you €12.
- By Car: From Rome will take you round 2.5 hours by car by way of the E45 street, southbound.
- By Public Transport: Taking a high-speed train to Naples from Rome will take you round 1h and value you about €35. From the Naples Centrale station, take the Circumvesuviana train in direction of Sorrento for 30mins and cease at Pompeii. You’ll see the doorway to the ruins as quickly as you get off!
- Guided Tour: The greatest means of studying every part about this UNESCO World Heritage Site is unquestionably by becoming a member of a guided tour. This day trip consists of transport from Rome, skip-the-line entry, a guided go to to the Pompeii archaeological excavation, and a 2-course lunch at an area restaurant for €135.
4. Visit Villa d’Este & Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli
The metropolis of Tivoli, positioned solely 40 minutes east of Rome, is house to 2 of Italy’s most well-preserved Roman villas. Hadrian’s Villa and Villa D’Este are each UNESCO world heritage websites and completely price a go to.
The two well-preserved villas can simply be mixed on a single day journey from Rome since each takes round two hours to go to. Since there are a lot of tales to be heard about Villa D’Este, I counsel you go to it with a guided tour information like on this day trip that mixes a go to to each Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa for €77.
let’s test them out one after the other:
If you’re keen on formal gardens, you can’t skip the beautiful Villa D’Este, that includes stunning historic gardens, musical fountains, and waterfalls typical of the Renaissance occasions.
This is the right place to flee the hustle and bustle of Rome and revel in some peace. Stroll alongside the villa’s secret paths, attractive statues, and frescoed rooms… and cease to recharge your energies on the cozy little eating places within the space.
Located on the other facet of Villa d’Este, at a couple of 10 minutes drive, you will see the charming Hadrian’s Villa. This is a formidable advanced of 30 historic Roman constructions constructed within the second century by Emperor Hadrian as his retreat from the busy Rome.
With its 250 acres of historic palaces, thermal baths, marble pavements, theaters, libraries, temples, and personal quarters the place the royal guardsman and slaves as soon as lived, this can be a historical past lover’s paradise!
PRO TIP: There’s a direct bus between Hadrian’s Villa and Villa D’Este (get off on the cease Tivoli Piazza Garibaldi), which can value you €1 and take you 20 min.
P.S.: Rome hosts many stunning villas which now are lodging for vacationers, test them out on this put up about the best areas and hotels to stay in Rome!
- By Car: 40 minutes on the A24 freeway
- By Public Transport: 1 hour by train to Tivoli (€3 one-way), then take a bus to Hadrian’s Villa, which prices €1 and takes 5 min.
- Guided Tour: The best option to go to the two villas is as part of this guided day trip from Rome, for €77.
5. Travel again in time at Ostia Antica
Located on the mouth of the River Tiber only a 45-minute drive from Rome, Ostia Antica was Rome’s historic port metropolis and industrial middle. Today it really lies 2 miles from the ocean as a result of drop in sea degree, however it’s nonetheless an enchanting place to go to!
Nowadays Ostia Antica is an archeological site that includes historic ruins, historic residence buildings and columns, magnificent frescoes, and spectacular mosaics. History buffs and artwork lovers simply discovered their paradise!
Here you’ll be able to stroll across the Decumanus Maximus, Ostia Antica’s foremost avenue, the place you’ll see the ruins of some essential temples, like the massive Capitolium and even one devoted to Hercules.
But the issues to discover listed here are numerous, from the Termini Nettuno public baths with their beautiful mosaics to the previous taverns the place locals had wine, and the Agrippa’s Amphitheater, internet hosting theatrical performances for as much as 4000 individuals again within the days.
- By Car: 40 minutes by way of SP8.
- By Public Transport: Take the metro to the Piramide cease (line B), right here change for the Roma-Ostia train (Line RL Cristoforo Colombo) and get off on the seventh cease ‘Ostia Antica.’ The complete journey will take you round 1 hour, and if you get off on the closing cease, in solely 5 minutes stroll, you’ll be on the entrance of the park
- Guided Tour: Learn concerning the lifetime of peculiar historic Rome’s residents on this half-day trip to the industrial and navy seaport city of Ostia Antica for €60 together with transport and entry.
6. See the Pope’s retreat in Castel Gandolfo, Castelli Romani
Another must-see day journey from Rome is the area of Castelli Romani, positioned within the picturesque Alban Hills, only a 1-hour drive south of Rome. The Castelli Romani is a group of 13 previous cities the place Ancient Romans went to flee the hustle and bustle and the summer season warmth of town (a convention that trendy Romans nonetheless have). Plus it’s considered one of Italy’s prime wine-growing areas!
If you’re enthusiastic about historical past, I counsel you give attention to the previous city of Castel Gandolfo. This is the most well-liked of the Castelli Romani villages and considered one of Italy’s most historic cities internet hosting the pope’s summer season house and unbelievable gardens.
The city’s foremost attraction is the Papal Palace of Castel Gandolf, a Seventeenth-century villa overlooking the attractive Lake Albano, which has been a trip retreat for the Pope however presently is a museum that may be visited for €11. You can go to the flats, the papal portrait gallery, and even the non-public bed room within the museum and even admire a number of pope mobiles.
This is a chance to take now as a result of, with a future Pope, we don’t know if Castel Gandolfo will stay open to the general public!
And should you pay additional (€16), you get an audio-guided tour of the magnificent Barberini Gardens on a minibus, that includes towering timber, varied flowers, and exquisite fountains in exactly manicured Versaille-like gardens and grottos!
Apart from the previous cities, the Castelli Romani area is characterised by scenic caldera lakes just like the lakes of Albano and Nemi (the world extends on volcanic soils and continues to be seismically energetic!), lush forests, and vineyards.
If you wish to take a break from town and loosen up in nature, head to the Castelli Romani Regional Park, with many mountain climbing trails, stately constructions, stunning natural world, and a lake for water actions!
Getting to Castel Gandolfo city:
- By Car: 1 hour south of Rome by way of the A90/E80 freeway
- By Train: Take a train from Termini central station in direction of ‘Albano Laziale’. Get off after 40 minutes at ‘Castel Gandolfo’ station (€2). Walk quarter-hour in direction of Piazza Della Liberta and also you’ll be in Castel Gandolfo Town!
- Guided Tour: Combine your journey to the Pontifical Residence of Castel Gandolfo and the Barberini Gardens with skip-the-line tickets to the Vatican Museums and a go to to the Sistine Chapel on this one-day trip for €100!
7. Explore Orvieto church buildings and labyrinths!
Just 1.5 hours driving north of Rome within the Umbria Region, you will see the charming hill city of Orvieto, majestically positioned on an enormous chunk of volcanic rock referred to as the “tuff”. This is unquestionably probably the greatest day journeys from Rome, particularly should you love previous church buildings!
In truth, right here you’ll discover the St Francis church, named after the well-known Catholic friar, and the Duomo, a formidable cathedral with beautiful mosaics and frescoes influenced by Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel. This is taken into account considered one of Italy’s most interesting!
Another must-do right here is Adrian’s Labyrinths, positioned within the underground tunnels of town.
The labyrinths had been carved by the Etruscans 3,000 years in the past from volcanic rock, now right here you’ll be able to discover grandiose rooms, stairs, cisterns, and quarries: you’ll journey again in time as quickly as you step inside, for less than €5.
- By Car: 1.5 hours following the E35 freeway till you see the “Orvieto” signal
- By Train: Take the prepare from Roma Termini to Orvieto: it takes about 75 minutes and prices €8.
- Guided Tour: A handy option to see Orvieto is on this day trip from Rome, combining a go to to a different essential city city of Assisi, a pilgrim vacation spot from the thirteenth century. During the tour, you’ll even have a scenic journey by the Tuscan landscapes and lunch close to Lake Trasimeno for €150.
8. Relax in Siena within the Tuscan countryside
The medieval city of Siena, positioned within the rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside, lies 2.5 hours from Rome and is unquestionably well worth the journey!
Even if ignored in favor of the Tuscany capital Florence, this charming metropolis has loads to supply.
In truth, SIenna hosts a lovely historic metropolis middle, which is a UNESCO world heritage web site, the place you’ll discover the well-known Piazza del Campo foremost sq.. (Plus it’s nearer to Rome so you should have extra time to discover!)
The sq. is the right place to only stroll round and stare upon its medieval buildings, brick paving stones, the spectacular fountain Fonte Gaia, browse the numerous memento outlets, or simply savor a scrumptious and refreshing gelato whereas doing a little individuals watching!
And should you occur to be in Siena on the 2nd of July or sixteenth of August, you can’t miss town’s most iconic occasion: the Palio di Siena. This unbelievable horse race is held in the primary sq., Piazza del Campo, which will get fully full of a roaring crowd whereas 10 horses and riders dressed particularly colours signify ten of the seventeen metropolis wards in a bareback race!
Other iconic landmarks of town are the medieval Torre del Mangia tower and the traditional
Siena Cathedral: a spectacle in and out, that includes Romanesque-Gothic options… In different phrases, you don’t have any excuses to not go to this unbelievable city
- By Car: 2.30h by way of A1/E35
- By Train: Public transport shouldn’t be really useful as there aren’t any direct trains right here, you have to to go all the way in which to Florence after which south once more to Siena.
- Guided Tour: Explore Siena on this present day journey from Rome, throughout which you’ll expertise additionally the well-known Tuscan countryside, cease to walk by the UNESCO-listed hilltop village of San Gimignano, and go to a vineyard within the Chianti area, for €256
P.S.: It can also be potential to go to Florence on a day journey should you take a high-speed prepare, nevertheless, as there are such a lot of things to do in Florence and the high-speed trains are fairly costly, I really suggest you keep just a few nights because it is without doubt one of the greatest cities to go to in Italy!
|🤩 Range of actions:||Large|
|🏛️ Best museum:||National Archaeological Museum|
|🎢 Best for historical past:||Pompeii|
|🚶🏽♂️ Best free exercise:||Piazza del Campo, Siena|
|🌳 Best for open air:||Castelli Romani Regional Park|
|🍕 Best for foodies:||Pizza in Napoli|
|🚕 Car rental value/day:||€40|
|✈️ Cost of touring:||Medium|
BONUS: How to get round Italy
If you might be planning on doing a number of day journeys from Rome, essentially the most handy means of transport is for positive renting a car. Otherwise, if you wish to depend on public transport, the prepare is the quickest and most safe choice (buses usually are not dependable and don’t get in every single place).
Another nice choice for individuals who usually are not renting a automotive is to affix one of many many guided excursions from Rome. I gave some nice solutions for every of the day journeys talked about all through the put up!
But let’s see these different choices in additional element:
Renting a automotive in Rome
Renting a car in Rome is unquestionably what I counsel you do if you wish to go on a number of day journeys. This provides you with all the liberty to make stops alongside the way in which and never should depend on timetables.
You can both hire a automotive in Rome Fiumicino Airport, Rome metropolis middle, or Rome Termini Train Station for round €40 a day (good in case you are touring with a gaggle, so you’ll be able to cut up!).
Getting out of Rome to succeed in cities in different areas would require you to drive on Italy highways (autostrada) which normally have tolls. When you come throughout a toll street you might want to move by a barrier the place you’ll be able to pay with money or a card (test this website for paid roads).
Once you might be out of town, to get across the Lazio area or from one village to the opposite one, you’ll be able to normally follow free secondary roads.
If you favor to make use of public transport to your day journeys, the perfect (and solely) choice is the prepare. This is as a result of buses work extra inside the cities and never a lot from one metropolis to a different. Even in the event that they do generally, they’re not likely dependable.
The prepare system is sort of good in Italy, connecting large cities in addition to smaller cities. Most of the time they’re direct trains, however for much less fashionable locations you may want to change.
The two foremost prepare suppliers in Italy are Trenitalia, providing each regional and high-speed trains between many mid-sized and secondary Italian cities, and Italo, a high-speed prepare connecting bigger cities of Italy. High-speed trains could be fairly costly, costing normally round €40 for a single journey!
If you wish to get monetary savings, regional intercity trains are the most cost-effective choice to get round, even when they’re slower. Prices rely on the size of the journey however they normally range from 5€ to twenty€.
FAQs about day journeys from Rome
🤩 Which are the perfect day journeys from Rome?
The greatest day journeys from Rome are Naples, internet hosting an enormous historic middle, and the National Archaeological Museum with the largest collections of Roman Empire artifacts, Orvieto, positioned north of Rome, and the Castelli Romani, nestled within the Alban Hills.
❓Can I take a day journey to the Amalfi coast from Rome?
Yes, you may get to the Amalfi Coast in round 3.5 hrs from Rome, and the journey is unquestionably price it! Anyways, in case you have time to remain in a single day it’s higher, providing you with time to discover different sights within the space like Capri and the well-known Blue Grotto.
🏛️ Which are the perfect day journeys from Rome for historical past lovers?
The greatest day journeys from Rome for historical past buffs are Pompeii (from the seventh century BC), mixed with a hike on Mount Vesuvius, a day trip to Orvieto and Assisi (visited by pilgrims for the reason that thirteenth century) and the Hadrian’s Villa, the previous retreat of Emperor Hadrian.
🤔 Is a day journey from Rome to Florence price it?
Visiting Florence from Rome on a day journey shouldn’t be actually price it should you journey by automotive, because it lies at a 4 hours drive from it. But should you take a high-speed prepare, you may get to Florence’s Santa Maria prepare station in simply 1.30 h.
Here we’re on the finish of this tremendous intensive information to the perfect Rome day journeys and excursions. I additionally included some sensible info on the way to get round Italy (my beloved mom nation) from its charming capital.
We noticed historic websites, charming cities, previous church buildings, attention-grabbing museums, and historic ruins… so there’s one thing for any style right here!
I hope you loved studying my put up as a lot as I did writing it for you, and should you nonetheless have any questions for me otherwise you wish to share your expertise in Italy, please achieve this within the feedback under. I can be tremendous pleased to reply you!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!