Bonjour & welcome to another very well-researched guide on where to stay in Avignon! I just returned from a trip there with lots of tips in my luggage, but I also searched the web for hours to find the top places!
Since Avignon abounds in incredible boutique hotels, I also made 2 bonuses with the best hotels near the train station and some unique 5-star hotels!
All you’ve got to do is pick your favorite! I’ve already made sure to order the hotels from most to least expensive, so all you have to do is book! Once you decide which hotel is perfect for your dreamy French holiday, I recommend booking it in advance!
Yep, Avignon is one of those places in the South of France that is always busy, especially during the summer season, which is their high season (June, July, August).
Now, let’s check out these charming hotels!
If you are in a hurry
Don’t have time to read the whole post? Not to worry! I’ve made this short list of the best hotels in Avignon, just for you:
Luxury (€200 and up)
- La Divine Comédie-Suites Deluxe – retreat to this space with enchanting gardens and spend wonderful days in this gorgeous hotel near Avignon’s City Center with an outdoor pool, a spa center, and spacious rooms with elegant furnishings! When you’re not exploring the historical center, you can relax on the sun terrace alongside a good book and a glass of delicious Provencal wine!
- Auberge de la Treille – if you want to opt for accommodations near the iconic bridge in Avignon with direct access to some of the attractions, like Les Halles market, then check out this hotel that has contemporary rooms with air-conditioning, a restaurant that specializes in French food and a peaceful garden where you can enjoy your mornings!
- Hotel De Cambis – want to stay close to all the attractions in town and secure a place with views of sunset over the city? Then I reckon this hotel near Rue de la Republique is for you! Offering a warm welcome through its fab decor and cozy, airy bedrooms, the hotel features modern amenities, including a restaurant and a bar! Make sure you book your Avignon hotels in advance, as this city in Southern France is super popular!
- Be Loft B&B Pool & Spa – staying near the train station in Avignon is perfect for those who want to take day trips! And this hotel is just a 10-min walk away! It offers a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, spa facilities, and air-conditioned rooms! Each morning, you can enjoy your coffee on the patio while admiring the views! If you’re looking for a place to visit near Avignon, I’d recommend Marseille, it’s pretty close and has so many amazing areas to explore more, which you can learn about in our post!
- Villa Pauline – relish in accommodations that fuse old and new, like this boutique hotel, which is perfect for those who have a car as it offers free parking! The hotel is beautifully decorated and is great for those who prefer lodgings with artful interiors and peaceful gardens! Make sure you grab your swimsuit as there’s also an outdoor swimming pool that you can use when the weather is on your side!
- Mas des Cerisiers – dive into luxury in renovated historic mansions like this one which offers spa retreats and such a peaceful atmosphere! Perfect for a romantic getaway, this hotel has such beautiful gardens! Relax by the outdoor swimming pool and start your day with a delicious (free) breakfast. Then you can rent some bikes from the accommodation and explore this gorgeous area in Provence!
Mid-Range (from €130 to €200)
- D’OR Les Anges – get your daily dose of vitamin D under the Provencal sun by the outdoor swimming pool of this hotel! Well-reviewed for its hospitality and service in Avignon, this charming bed & breakfast features rooms with a private balcony, a sun terrace (perfect for reading your vacay book), and a lush garden, of course, since Avignon hotels are full of them!
- Hôtel de l’Horloge – housed in a historical building that overlooks Place de L’Horloge, just steps away from vibrant cultural events and the city’s attractions, like the Popes Palace, this hotel has some lovely rooms with antique furnishings, air-conditioning, and some even come with private terraces! Near the hotel, you can uncover restaurants renowned for French hospitality and delicious wine!
- Mercure Avignon Gare TGV – set near Avignon’s second train station (5 min drive away from the City Center). This fabulous hotel is super modern and chic and has an outdoor pool! Take a day to enjoy all the hotel has to offer, from its amazing spa facilities to the swimming pool and its outstanding restaurant that serves delicious food! If you’re coming with the family, then you’ll be happy to know that they’ve got a kids club!
- Garlande Hôtel Avignon Centre – enjoy the ambiance of pedestrian-only streets while staying at this hotel in central Avignon, just within walking distance of Palais des Papes and Le Pont d’Avignon! Boasting some amazing rooms with floral prints, period furniture, and modern amenities, this hotel is surely a keeper! In the morning, you can grab breakfast at the hotel and then head out to explore the City Centre!
- Hotel De L’Atelier – experience the charm of medieval architecture and lush French gardens while staying at this boutique hotel in Avignon! Once here, you’ll fall in love with your rooms that have wooden beamed ceilings and the hotel’s ancient stone walls! Definitely one of the best romantic hotels (housed in a 16th-century building) in town, which also offers breakfast each morning and private parking.
- Peniche Althea – choose this place with a serene location along the Rhône that offers magnificent views of the Palais des Papes! Oh, my, I’m sold! This cool boat is perfect for those who prefer something a bit more different! Equipped with all you need for your holiday, like rooms with private bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, and some fabulous spa services, this accommodation can’t be missed out on!
Budget (up to €120)
- ibis Styles Avignon Sud – looking for a place a bit more affordable? Then you might like this accommodation which is set a bit further away from the City Centre, but offers much more tranquility! The place is super modern, and it even has an outdoor pool with sun loungers, rooms with a private bathroom and air-conditioning, and a game room (perfect for your little ones)!
- Régina Boutique Hotel – centrally located within the historic city of Avignon, just a 5 min walk away from the Palais des Papes and Rocher des Doms, this hotel offers simple yet well-equipped rooms that have a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. Each morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast (hope you like French jam, as there’s plenty of it here) before heading out!
- Best Western Plus Le Lavarin – spend your holiday surrounded by olive trees and colorful flowers at one of the best hotels in Avignon, which is perfect for those who love finding tranquility in off-the-beaten-path retreats! The accommodation features a swimming pool, a sauna where you can let all that jet lag melt away, and a restaurant where you can indulge in all the delicious dishes specific to the area.
- Logis Hotel Restaurant la Ferme – nestle in this cozy spot with a lush courtyard that’s so dreamy it’ll make you want to move up there! The accommodation has cozy rooms with large windows and a comfy bed! You’ll also find a swimming pool and an outdoor terrace where you can enjoy some of the mouth-watering food that they offer on-site!
- Kyriad Avignon – Palais des Papes – embrace hotels with locations near the renowned Palais des Papes, like this one, which is set right in the Place de l’Horloge! The affordable hotel offers modern rooms that have air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, and a private bathroom! They also offer breakfast but don’t worry, as you’ll be close to lots of restaurants in this central area!
- Hotel Ermitage – a super affordable accommodation in Avignon that I’d recommend for those with a car or who don’t mind using the bus to get to the City Center. This place has a super homie vibe and offers rooms with a private bathroom and a flat-screen TV. Guests can chill by the seasonal pool whenever they want and also rent bikes from the hotel to explore the area.
BONUS 1: Best hotels near the train station
As I mentioned, I’ve recently stayed in Avignon, and honestly, I highly recommend it as a base to explore the area as its train station has connections with most of the touristy places in Provence!
So if you’re thinking of doing the same as me, then this bonus is for you! Here you’ll find the best hotels near the train station, which I ordered from most to least expensive, and the costs start from €110 to €190:
1. L’Observance Bed & Breakfast
Gotta love a place that offers a fusion of old and new! This accommodation is set just 8 8-min walk away from the station, and it has a swimming pool, a garden, and a terrace, all in true Avignon style! Their rooms are comfortable, and each offers a flat-screen TV and free Wi-Fi.
2. Avignon Grand Hotel
Located just outside the ancient city walls and just a 2 min walk away from the station, this hotel has bright rooms with a lot of space and a balcony, a pool that you can use on sunny days, and a lovely garden where you can spend some relaxing time!
3. Hôtel Le Colbert
Feel at home at this hotel that’s just a 4-min walk to the station, which is super cozy and features a terrace. The hotel is decorated with lots of paintings and pictures, even in the rooms which have free Wi-Fi. Guests can always rent bikes out if they want to explore the Villeneuve lez Avignon area.
4. Hotel Boquier
Phew, loving the modern Provencal style of this hotel in Avignon that is a 5-min walk to the station. Featuring white painted wooden-beamed ceilings, rooms with a private bathroom, and a terrace!
5. Novotel Avignon Centre
There’s nothing like a holiday filled with fun attractions and relaxing at the spa! This hotel, which is set right next to the train station, offers lots of spa facilities like massages, a sauna, a hot tub, and also an indoor swimming pool!
6. Le Magnan
Such a charming place which is located within the historic city walls just a 10 min walk away from the train station. This hotel offers a breakfast which you can enjoy on the outdoor terrace, family rooms, and private parking.
BONUS 2: Unique 5-star hotels in Avignon
This town in the South of France is one of those places that you’ll never forget visiting (that’s how it was for me) and if you want to make this holiday even more special then book a hotel where you’ll feel like a king or queen!
Below, I’ve gathered the best 5-star hotels in Avignon that feature incredible amenities! As always, I’ve ordered them from most to least expensive, and the prices start from €200 to €500.
1. La Mirande
Conveniently situated near Avignon’s top attractions, like the Petit Palais, this hotel will make you feel like you’ve landed in a French period drama movie! Decorated with stunning artwork and stylish furniture, the boutique hotel dates back to the 1300s, and it features rooms with oak-wood parquet flooring and silk-lined curtains, a restaurant, and a lovely courtyard.
2. Hotel d’Europe
Enjoy proximity to gourmet Provencal cuisine, Michelin-star restaurants, and important attractions like the papal palace, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, while staying at this hotel, which is set in a 16th-century building! The hotel features elegantly decorated rooms with lots of space and panoramic city views, plus a quaint outdoor terrace!
3. L’Avant Scène
Find comfort in chic, modern apartments that combine modern with vintage aesthetics! This hotel in Avignon is perfect for your holiday as it features suites with a kitchen, free private parking, and a hot tub.
4. Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Indulge in French dishes prepared by chef Philippe Boucher while staying at one of the best hotels in Avignon that has a classy decor, an outdoor and indoor pool, a spa center with a eucalyptus steam room, and gardens filled with Provencal lavender!
5. Palais des Papes – Havre de Paix III
Stay amidst the buzz of Avignon’s festivals and attractions at this hotel, which has a central location near Pont Saint Bénézet! The apartment is beautifully decorated, with a fully equipped kitchen, air-conditioning, and free Wi-Fi.
FAQs about where to stay in Avignon
🤩 Is it worth staying in Avignon?
Absolutely! Avignon is a gorgeous city that feels like an open-air museum with numerous attractions, restaurants, luxury hotels, and a beautiful historic centre!
🚶 Is Avignon a walkable city?
Yes! You can walk to pretty much all the attractions in Avignon, and you definitely don’t need a car to get around the town (except if you want to take day trips to other places in the area).
🤔 Is it better to stay in Arles or Avignon?
It depends! I visited both, and I’d say that Avignon features many more attractions than Arles and better travel connections. But Arles is pretty close to Avignon, so you can visit it whenever you want!
📅 How many days do you need to see Avignon?
I would recommend spending 3 to 4 days in Avignon, that will give you plenty of time to explore the town, visit its museums and even some day trips to places like Saint Rémy de Provence.
Although I just came back from Avignon, I already miss its mesmerizing atmosphere and unique architecture!
Today I got to offer you a list of the best hotels where to stay in Avignon! Plus 2 amazing bonuses with the top hotels near the train station and some unique 5-star hotels in town that I know you’ll love!
I don’t like being repetitive but honestly, it’s important to book your hotels in Avignon in advance! No matter if they’re budget hotels or some of the best luxury hotels, these places will sell out super fast, so it’s better to secure your spot early, as the city gets many tourists all year round!
But don’t rush into anything! Take your time and consider all the options! After that, if you’re still not sure, then have a look at my 2 favorite hotels in Avignon:
- La Divine Comédie-Suites Deluxe – named after Dante’s famous work, this is the best hotel in town that has a gorgeous lush garden, stylish interiors, and an outdoor pool.
- D’OR Les Anges – another great accommodation that offers modern rooms, an outdoor pool, and a bar.
Et voila! There you have it!
Have a fabulous vacay in Provence! And don’t forget that I’ve already been there, so I can definitely help you out with some tips. Don’t hesitate to reach out in the comment section below!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!