River Cruising Wasn't What I Expected. Here’s Why

European River Cruising Wasn’t What I Expected. I had not anticipated European River Cruising to be filled with so many variations to …
low cost holidays, #River #Cruising #Wasn39t #Expected #Heres, cruise suggestions,suggestions for travellers,Gary Bembridge suggestions for travellers,Gary Bembridge,Cruise Tips For Travellers,river cruising suggestions,european river cruise suggestions,river cruise,river cruising,european river cruise,european river cruises,europe river cruises,river cruise in europe,gary bembridge,cruise suggestions for travellers,gary bembridge suggestions for travellers,river cruises in europe #travelonlinetips #travelonlinetipsofficial

49 thoughts on “River Cruising Wasn't What I Expected. Here’s Why

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

A point he doesn't mention is that many river ships don't have elevators.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

I just rent a car and drive. I don’t need to be part of that clown circus, thank you!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

I’m TERRIFIED of large bodies of water.. I almost drowned on a water slide, as a kid.. this looks fun.. I don’t think you HAVE to do what they want.. you just gotta be back on time.. but it sounds fun.. I hear cruises are drunk Messes AND u can’t see land.. no thanks!! But the food thing could be an issue.. CAN I BRING FOOD TO MY ROOM?? Like munchies?? I don’t want a lady asking me why I’m not joining. I would let them know ahead of time.. do you HAVE to?? If so, then I do t think I’d like that much.. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP IS APPRECIATED, EVEN FROM COMMENTS 💜💜

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

How disappointing. As a regular blogger of Ocean cruises why even bother with a one-sided supposed review of a river cruise. I gave up watching after a minute of two, it was like an employee of a cruise line justifying why they are so good (we'll ignore the high prices and conventions for enforced tipping etc) If you set your self to be a reviewer and create a blog, then please do us a favour at leat try and be unbiased. I'm speaking as someone who hasn't been on either Ocean or River cruises and was hoping for a genuine piece of work.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

We have been on 1 Viking cruise and we enjoyed it . We actually stayed on for 3 weeks on our own to explore more places and then flew home with viking at a later date than the rest of the group. We are going on another next May on the Rhine out last trip was the Danube.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

If you are really that boringly well off, I have a suggestion. Instead of investing in competing lifestyles of endless vacations, consider investing in any of billions of us who might have any kind of vacation even once in our lifetimes, so so that we might help each other feel better, if you folks never will.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Thanks for the info, confirmed me I would like ocean cruising more. Interesting to see comments from the other perspective though. For me, how could river cruise be relaxing when you are forced to wake up on a a schedule, like working, forced to eat on a fixed menu, etc. Just amazing

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

People complain about going through the canal locks, that would be my favorite part!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Having watched this it seems river cruises are definitely not for me. Whilst I do not like mingling with thousands of people, I do like huge ships. So to mitigate I save, get a suite and ensure that I enjoy the large balconies and suite only areas. I can think of nothing worse that sharing a relatively small boat on a river, where the schedule is not determined by me and virtually everyone know each others business like it's temporary office sharing …..this doesn't seem like a fun experience to me. Also since I live in Europe I am surrounded by history and culture and if I want or need to visit then most places are less than a 3 hour flight away.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

as an extreme introvert…this would still be too crowded for me. I go on vacations to get away from people…. put me in nature and I'll be happy

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Thank you for this. You just put me off and saved me the experience. I hate everything you mention and hadn’t thought about that before. I’ll stick to ocean cruising.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Can you customize the food on these river cruises? I have some severe food allergies – dairy, gluten and soy to name a few and would love to take a cruise but am terrified of not being able to eat anything.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

River is all about different city every day and exploring plus there is scenery all the way the cruise

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Why crew members still wearing masks and guests dont. It is not fair in anyway

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Don’t you hate it when WI-FI is included and all you get is a naff signal you share with 200 others at the same time..
    Hotels are just as guilty..
    And to get that password you NEED to share every intimate detail of your life.
    Don’t they Prying piss on your privacy .

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

This is everything I love about river cruising. Ocean cruises are a free for all. Like being in a drunken Disneyland. No thank you.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

The young Lady (guide for Viking) at 50 seconds, was one oe the guides on a bus tour my Wife and I did in Spain with APT in April 2016. She is a lovely and bubbly girl who only added to our holiday. So heart warmer she had progressed to river cruising which she said she wanted to do. I do hope she has survived the Covid and hot European Summer.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Only 4 things on my bucket list. 1. Visit Israel 2. To travel on an overnight train ( I live in Trinidad and Tobago where we do not have trains. 3. A river cruise (no waves means no sea sickness; or getting caught out at sea in a raging storm) 4. Go camping or glamping in a place like Yosemite Park. Sigh!!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

As an introvert bordering on antisocial that prefers to sleep in while on holiday?
    Just the intro sounds like my idea of hell.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

I'm flying to Egypt for 12 days in January where everyone takes a Nile River cruise. I decided it wasn't for me and will be doing other activities!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

I’m always amazed at how hard it is to please older folks in times like these. They all seem to act entitled. Complain, complain, complain. Just be happy you can even afford a damn cruise! Most can’t. Hell they don’t even let you retire anymore. You just get laid off repeatedly!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Why would you want to be ready and know what’s going to happen? What’s wrong with spontaneity and singing it? It’s called adventure. If it’s going to be that predictable what’s the point?
    Cheers

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

This has been massively helpful. We'd toyed with the idea of a river cruise but your very informative video has made me realise it's definitely not for us. Previously we've gone through Europe by train because we like to please ourselves and if we decide to mooch around at our own pace, we can. We don't holiday very often, there are often years between trips so we like to get it right. Thank you!

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

I’ll never do one of these. Good info but this sounds awful. Lol

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

A review that seems to written by a real shill for ocean cruisers. As one who has taken a number of ocean cruises and river cruises. The river cruises are much better that depicted in this travel log and ocean cruises are not nearly as good. Both have their places and I will go on both in the future. Ocean cruises seem geared to promoting bars, drinking and casino. River cruises seem to make it easy to self-tour in interesting places. I am not pushing one or the other, but take the biased comparisons in this post with a large grain of (sea) salt.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

This guy is an ocean cruise salesman talking down to river cruises. He would rather be with 1000's of people on an ocean cruise. Uses words to degrade river cruise travelers. This is of no value

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

My wife and I live in a small town that’s a stop for river cruises, walking past one of the boats the other day we discussed how it could be fun to do one, then we looked at the prices, lol they are smoking strong stuff, not a chance.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

This seems to reinforce my negative perception that ocean cruises are just giant floating buffets.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

We have been on a scenic river cruise.
    Loved it.
    All of the negatives here are my positives.
    On Scenic there is a table set up all day and night for anyone to get a snack or make up for a missed meal.
    Things you don’t have on a river cruise is crowds of people.
    I do not want to be in a floating casino
    I can watch movies at home
    I disliked days at sea with only the ocean
    Most of the travel on scenic is done at night.
    Horses for courses.
    Done both
    No more ocean cruise for me.
    Loved the “like a bus tour “ vibe without the annoying bags before breakfast.
    The best way to see Europe in particular.
    On Scenic the food was exceptional.
    Ocean reminds me of a party bus or a booze bus. Just entertainment on steroids
    Holiday is for relaxing doing it with familiar faces around me is a plus

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

Dam, hope you don’t go on anymore you’re extremely negative about the whole experience.

• November 23, 2022 at 10:13 am

This is hilarious. Everything you say makes me NEVER want to be on an ocean cruise. Horrible! I travel to visit interesting places in the world. Not to be trapped on a floating, isolated island with 1000 or so strangers with — did you say “casinos”? Yech! — canned entertainment. Also, when a catastrophe happens (power failure, Nora virus), on a river cruise you can get off the boat.