Hidden on the Pacific coast of Guerrero, Mexico, La Saladita is a secret paradise for longboard surfers internet hosting one of many longest waves in Mexico.
Being a bit off the crushed path, it may well appear fairly onerous to get there, however let me inform you, it’s so well worth the effort! I did it, and I can say it’s the greatest surf spot I’ve ever been to in my life, and I’m fairly certain you’ll find it irresistible too!
The place remains to be not likely recognized by vacationers (even whether it is getting increasingly standard amongst surfers from the US), so there’s little data on the web about this magical seashore.
That’s why I made a decision to share with the surf neighborhood this journey information to la Saladita! Here you’ll discover some helpful ideas (that I want I had recognized earlier than), details about lodging, transportation, how one can get there, what to do and far more… Are you able to pack your baggage?
Let’s bounce proper in!
1. How to get to La Saladita, Guerrero
The best solution to get to La Saladita is to fly to Mexico City (chances are you’ll wish to spend the night time there, so try this put up about the best places to stay in Mexico City) after which take a 1-hour inner flight to Zihuatanejo International Airport.
PRO TIP: Use Skyscanner to seek out the most affordable flights out of your space!
Zihuatanejo airport is positioned round 1 hour from La Saladita by automotive or by taxi, buses don’t go right here!
- By automotive: I actually counsel you rent a car on the airport or within the metropolis middle and drive the 1 hour to La Saladita following Mexico 200 Road when you’ve got the chance. Having a automotive in La Saladita will will let you discover the encircling seashores and funky spots at your individual tempo as a result of there are not any buses that will help you get round!
- By taxi: If you don’t wish to hire a automotive if you exit the airport, you’ll discover many taxis providing you a trip. The regular worth to get to La Saladita is round US$70, so ensure you negotiate the value in the event that they ask you extra!
PRO TIP: if you happen to plan on staying in La Saladita for various days and also you wish to prepare dinner your individual meals, ensure you go by the grocery store in Zihuatanejo and purchase all you want for the time of your keep as there’s no grocery store in la Saladita, solely eating places that are dearer than in the remainder of Mexico.
Within the village of La Saladita itself, all the things is inside strolling distance, however you’ll nonetheless have to take a automotive or taxi to get to some other cities if you want to go to a grocery store or some other services. If you want a taxi, simply ask the proprietor of your lodging or at a restaurant for the quantity. There’s no Uber right here!
2. Surfing in and round La Saladita
I’ve to be sincere and inform you that just about the one factor you are able to do in La Saladita is browsing. So if you happen to’re a surf addict like me (or an inspiring learner), you’ll completely find it irresistible, but when not, this won’t be the place for you.
Here I’ll clarify the completely different seashores intimately so you’ll be able to select the place to go based mostly in your degree and preferences, however after all, if you happen to go to La Saladita, you’ll spend more often than not browsing there (try why!):
2.1 La Saladita’s Point Break
La Saladita seashore gives a premier left-hand level break, which is kind of removed from the shore, so you’ll be able to trip waves for 1 minute or extra!
The waves in La Saladita are undoubtedly for longboarders, being mellow and mild, so if you happen to’re a brief border, that is your time to attempt one thing completely different (apart from when there are large days, through which case it’s undoubtedly doable on a shortboard too).
The neatest thing about this spot is that you’ve waves all day lengthy (similar as you can see in Chacahua, the opposite Mexican browsing paradise). This implies that whatever the tide, you’ll be able to actually log on at any time of day, however take into accounts that within the late morning and summertime, it will get tremendous crowded!
P.S.: The seashore is filled with turtles, so get able to see the turtles’ heads developing from the water in every single place when you’re paddling out!
From my private expertise, I’ve to inform you that the primary days it’s going to value you (bodily) to get to the purpose break, particularly if you happen to’re not skilled. It is kind of 5-10 minutes paddling from the seashore, relying on how robust the currents are, however when you prepare your muscle mass, you’ll get used to that!
If you’re a newbie, no worries. The waves break at completely different factors, so you can even observe nearer to the shore!
If you have already got your board, you need to undoubtedly deliver it. Otherwise, you’ll be able to hire a board for about US$10 USD per day.
The solely surf college in La Saladita is Chucho, positioned proper in entrance of the seashore break (you can not miss it!), so if you happen to’re a newbie, you’ll be able to take a 1.5h lesson for US$25!
La Saladita has waves all yr spherical, however from April to early November, they’re larger and extra constant, whereas from November to March, they’re smaller however nonetheless tremendous enjoyable to trip!
2.2 Troncones Shallow Reef
30 minutes drive from La Saladita, you can see the Troncones shallow reef. This is a quick left break, however some waves additionally break on the proper, engaged on all tides!
I personally love this seashore break as a result of waves are stronger and slightly sooner than those in La Saladita, making it good for each lengthy and quick borders.
These waves are tremendous enjoyable to trip, simply be careful for rocks if you happen to keep near the shore!
Troncones can be a stunning city, internet hosting many eating places and bars proper on the seashore serving contemporary fish and native specialties… So I counsel you cease there for a go to after your surf session!
There are few surf schools in Troncones with which you’ll take a lesson for about $40 (relying on the varsity), or hire boards for $20 a day/ $10 an hour.
The browsing season in Troncones is strictly the identical because the one in La Saladita, however If waves in La Saladita are small, go to Troncones the place it’s all the time larger, so that you’ll for certain get waves!
How to get there:
- By automotive: Getting to Troncones from La Saladita by car will take you about half-hour
- By taxi: You can take a taxi from La Saladita to Troncones for about US$20.
2.3 Other browsing seashores round
Here’s an inventory of different seashores round La Saladita (some are slightly additional away), in case you wish to go for a surf day journey. I personally haven’t been there since I didn’t have a automotive, however they’re standard spots amongst surfers:
3. Other issues to do close to La Saladita
This is a really tranquil place, with few lodging, some eating places, and a seashore that doesn’t actually enable you simply to put down or to have lengthy walks (it’s fairly small with a lot of rocks).
If you don’t thoughts getting moist, you’ll be able to sit on some spots on the seashore (like within the space simply in entrance of Mareta seashore bar & restaurant) the place there’s simply sand, however the shore is sloping, and the tide will attain you very often!
So this may be a fantastic alternative to simply disconnect from the world and meditate.
But when you’ve got a car to get round, there are some cool issues to do round La Saladita… Let’s verify them out:
3.1 Relax within the scorching springs
If you wish to take a break from all of the browsing and simply take pleasure in some rest, you want to go to the pure scorching springs positioned in a hidden spot simply 20 minutes from Playa La Saladita.
The hot springs preserved their wild, untouched state, in order that they’re an ideal place simply to disconnect, treatment your muscle mass, and chill… generally we’d like this, proper?
But don’t count on something too fancy. There are not any altering rooms, eating places, or man-made swimming pools right here – only a pure pure scorching spring!
PRO TIP: Don’t attempt to come right here when it has rained rather a lot because the highway could be very bumpy and chances are you’ll get caught!
How to get there:
- By automotive – one of the simplest ways to get to the new springs from La Saladita is unquestionably by car, which is able to take you round 20 minutes. The approach is bumpy and soiled, so ensure you don’t go there when it has rained rather a lot!
- By taxi – taking a taxi to the new springs will value you round US$10.
3.2 Practice yoga
We all know that the very best combo with browsing is unquestionably yoga, permitting you to stretch your muscle mass after your lengthy and intense classes!
Even if there’s not a correct yoga college in La Saladita, the Chucho surf college gives yoga courses included within the surf packages if you happen to resolve to remain there.
If you aren’t planning on reserving a surf bundle (which often consists of keep+surf courses+meals+yoga+different actions), you’ll be able to go to Mareta seashore bar & restaurant, the place surf academics give classes often on Tuesday and Thursday, but it surely is determined by the season and the one who’s instructing.
Just go there and ask… everybody is aware of everybody within the Saladita village, so if there are yoga classes occurring, you’ll comprehend it!
Price: ~US$5 per lesson
3.3 Go horseback using
As I stated within the intro. Unfortunately, the Saladita seashore doesn’t actually will let you stroll, that includes many rocks on the shore, which is a pity as a result of the seashore is simply lovely… But there’s nothing a horse can’t do!
If you wish to have a singular expertise, I actually advocate you go on a romantic horse trip, gazing on the open ocean on one aspect and the mountains and inexperienced palms on the opposite!
The horseback trip often lasts about 3 hours and prices US$40, however there’s no solution to discover data on-line. There are some locals based mostly on-site who supply this service (you’ll discover them as a result of the horses dwell proper in entrance of their homes), so that you’ll should ask them instantly.
They often make these excursions at sundown, since it’s the most magical time of the day and also you received’t endure the warmth of the solar, however you’ll be able to organize the time when you’ve got different preferences!
3.4 Release turtles in Playa Blanca, Troncones
If you wish to witness a pure and pure phenomenon, be a part of this tour in Zihuatanejo. They will choose you up from Troncones (25 minutes drive from La Saladita) and take you to a particular seashore the place you’ll get to launch new child turtles and watch them return to the ocean.
This particular occasion occurs on Saturdays and Wednesdays all yr spherical. After the turtle launch, you’ll have time to eat one thing in a small native restaurant, well-known for its scrumptious meat and seafood dishes, internet hosting dwell music usually!
3.5 Learn to color whereas ingesting beer on a 2-day workshop
If you wish to do one thing completely different throughout your vacation in La Saladita, be a part of this 2-day workshop in Troncones. During this enjoyable workshop, you’ll stare upon Guerrero’s Pacific surroundings, observe your portray methods, and revel in domestically brewed craft beers!
On the primary day, they’ll choose you up in Troncones and convey you to the waterfront to take pleasure in a mimosa and educate you how one can paint clouds and seascapes. On the second day, you’ll take a look at your methods and create your individual panorama, and bask in a craft beer tasting proper after!
The wonderful thing about this workshop is that despite the fact that it’s 2 days, you’ll be able to nonetheless keep in La Saladita and simply commute the 30 minutes each days.
4. Where to remain in La Saladita
Even if La Saladita is a reasonably small village, there are some good choices so that you can keep in, from surf homes to flats and vacation properties.
I personally rented a room proper on the seashore, however once more you can not guide it on-line (I needed to speak to individuals there to seek out this), so I gathered right here under an inventory of the very best lodging choices in La Saladita that you may truly try and guide earlier than your vacation!
Below you can see some choices in La Saladita and Troncones, which has just a few extra choices that you may guide upfront.
La Saladita accomodation
The lodging in La Saladita are all within the mid-range of costs, and reserving a room or condo for one night time will value you from $60 to $150.
The inns under are ordered from the most costly one to the least:
- Chucho Saladita Surf School – Chucho is a surf home and faculty (providing leases), that includes lovely oceanfront rooms with entry to a shared kitchen and a rooftop terrace the place you are able to do yoga or stare upon sunsets. You can both guide a room for about $60 an evening or a surf bundle together with lodging, surf courses, meals, yoga, and different actions, however they’re accessible solely at sure occasions of the yr!
- Villas Jaqueline – If you’re going to La Saladita with a bunch of associates or with your loved ones, try these distinctive seashore homes with direct entry to the ocean. They’re all absolutely outfitted with a kitchen and personal toilet, air con, and beautiful views of the water. Prices begin from $100 per night time for two individuals.
- Casa Esmeralda – This lovely home is ideal for a quiet get-away on the seashore, providing flats on every ground with personal loos, kitchens, bedrooms, and entrances, all of them with entry to an enormous backyard with lounge chairs, hammocks, umbrellas, picnic tables, and an out of doors bathe. The most economical one begins from $65 per night time.
Hotels in Troncones
Under 30 minutes drive from La Saladita you can see Troncones and Playa Majahua. The two have many extra accomodation choices that you may guide on-line and much more services in relation to groceries and procuring and so forth.
So if you happen to want to remain someplace with just a few extra services, and a bit extra trendy inns, you’ll be able to simply commute to La Saladita on your surf breaks!
These inns are additionally listed in descending order from the most costly rooms:
Luxury ($140 and up)
- The Resort at Majahua Palms – This luxurious resort has a restaurant, out of doors swimming pool, a bar, and backyard in Troncones whereas providing superb rooms on your keep! All the suites have a balcony and pool view, a personal toilet, and entry to room service, plus the realm is standard for mountaineering and horse using.
- Las Villas, Villa Alegria – Check out this superb 2-bedroom condo positioned in Troncones, internet hosting as much as 5 individuals, good for a trip with household or associates! Here you’ll have entry to an enormous patio, an exquisite pool, a totally outfitted kitchen, and a solar terrace. Plus, you’ll be able to go mountaineering proper within the surrounding space!
- Hacienda Eden – Check out this resort positioned in Troncones, right here you’ll have entry to many out of doors sports activities like mountaineering, snorkeling, and biking. The property additionally gives superb services like a restaurant, bar, a backyard, and a personal seashore space, so you’ll be able to calm down after participating in all of the cool actions!
Mid Range ($60 – $120)
- Tres Mujeres Hotel – This superb 5-star resort in Troncones gives spacious rooms with personal balconies, a seating space, and breathtaking ocean views. Here you’ll be able to prepare dinner your individual meals within the shared kitchen, calm down within the backyard or swimming pool, and even deliver your four-legged buddy with you (it’s pet pleasant)!
Budget (as much as $50)
- Troncones Point Hostel – If you wish to be actually just a few steps from Troncones seashore and its superb browsing, this budget-friendly hostel is for you! Here you’ll be able to select to remain within the personal rooms and dormitories. In each circumstances, you’ll have entry to a shared kitchen and a backyard with hammocks the place you’ll be able to chill after an intense surf session.
- Roberto’s Bistro – Situated proper on Traoncones Beach, this resort gives a turtle sanctuary and a bar restaurant with night leisure… So you’ll have one thing to do all day lengthy! And wait till you see the superb rooms, every one opens onto a terrace with a hammock and sea views!
5. Where to eat in La Saladita
With all of the sports activities you’ll do in La Saladita, you’ll actually wish to recharge your power with some scrumptious meals! Luckily for you, there’s no scarcity of wonderful eating places there
(they’re truly not that many, however the ones accessible are all good!).
So, let’s try collectively my absolute favourite locations to eat in La Saladita:
- Mareta – This seashore bar/restaurant/cultural middle is unquestionably my favourite spot in La Saladita, providing all the things from Mexican Cuisine to wholesome meals, cocktails, and low proper on the seashore. You can come right here even simply to relax on its seashore hammocks or to work as Mareta has the greatest wifi on the town and is open all day lengthy!
- Tortas y Mariscos Kevin – If you wish to get conventional Mexican lunches for tremendous reasonably priced costs, you want to go to this household restaurant. Here the native proprietor will serve you genuine tortas (Mexican sandwiches), fried tacos, contemporary fish with rice, and far more… All should attempt!
- Los Benny’s – This oceanfront restaurant is de facto cozy and gives Mexican fare, contemporary fish dishes (attempt the fish soup!), and the greatest breakfast for very cheap items. This is the right place to return earlier than or after a morning browsing session (it’s closed at night time), positioned actually the place the surfers enter and get out of the water!
- Marejada Surf Spot – Feeling like a burger? Then try this nice restaurant specializing in scrumptious burgers product of meat, veggies, or fish, a favourite amongst locals and ex-pats in La Saladita! The restaurant is open each for lunch and dinner and generally hosts some cool occasions at night time!
6. Important issues you need to find out about La Saladita
Even although it’s changing into increasingly standard amongst surfers, La Saladita nonetheless preserves fairly an untouched nature, so that you actually received’t discover something aside from vacation leases, surf faculties, and eating places or bars.
So that implies that packing on your journey takes slightly additional considering. So I’ve made an inventory of some necessary issues I believe you need to know earlier than going there, so that you come ready!
- Language – Even if many of the eating places and flats there are owned by locals, there are extra US vacationers than Mexicans in La Saladita, so most people communicate English, and you may get away with little or no Spanish!
- Supermarkets – There are not any supermarkets in La Saladita, however generally some locals come to the village by automotive or scooter promoting tortillas, fruit or ice cream, however you can not actually survive with this! The closest grocery store is at Los Llanos, a couple of 10-minute drive from La Saladita, however it’s small and sells few issues. Otherwise, if you’d like extra decisions, you want to go to Zihuatanejo (a 1-hour drive!).
- Cash – Even if in some eating places you’ll be able to pay with a card (like in Mareta), many of the surf and lodging leases will ask you to pay in money, so ensure you deliver as a lot cash as you assume you want for the time frame you’ll keep there as a result of there are not any ATMs. If daily you hire a board, eat on the restaurant and perhaps do a surf class, you’ll spend round $100 a day (lodging included).
- ATMs – Don’t anticipate finding ATMs in La Saladita. The closest machine lies within the grocery store at Los Llanos, a small village a couple of 10-minute drive from La Saladita.
- Internet – In La Saladita, you may get a sign in many of the spots, however if you happen to don’t have a neighborhood sim card, you need to use the wifi of your lodging (they often present it) or go to Mareta, providing the very best wifi on the town without cost. You can simply work remotely there!
P.S.: Sometimes, when it rains, the village stays with out electrical energy for at the very least half a day, so that you received’t have the ability to join throughout this time.
- Water – In La Saladita, as nearly in every single place in Mexico, you can not drink water from the sink, and it’s higher if you happen to additionally wash your enamel with bottled water… Otherwise, you may get actually sick, and the closest hospital is in Zihuatanejo!
- Prices & bartering – Since most people in La Saladita are vacationers, costs are fairly excessive in comparison with the remainder of Mexico, so I counsel you attempt to barter for surf leases, lodging, and taxis.
- Sunblock – The solar in La Saladita is extraordinarily robust. Even although I used to be in Mexico for months, I received instantly burned the primary time I received into the water, so I counsel you employ a LOT of solar cream and keep away from the height hours.
- Pharmacies – Again, there are not any pharmacies in La Saladita, so both you deliver all of your medicines with you, or you want to go to Los Llanos, a 10-minute drive from the village.
7. What to deliver to La Saladita
As a consequence of what I simply talked about within the earlier part, there are some belongings you can’t neglect to deliver to la Saladita, so I made you a fast listing to simply remind you that
- Surfboard: If you have got it, you received’t waste cash renting it!
- Mosquito Repellent: the mosquito scenario will not be that loopy, however you’re nonetheless on the seashore!
- Medicines: deliver your drugs so that you’ll save your self a visit to Los Llanos
- Tons of sunblock: use it each time you get within the water, no matter how tanned you might be!
- Groceries: ensure you do an enormous store at Zihuatanejo earlier than attending to La Saladita, so that you don’t have to fret about this throughout your vacation
- Money: take with you as a lot money as you calculated to spend throughout your keep, many of the locations don’t settle for the cardboard!
|🤩 Range of actions:||Small|
|👪 Family-friendly rating:||Medium|
|🏄 Best free exercise:||Surfing|
|🌊 Best wave:||La Saladita|
|🏖️ Best surf close by:||Troncones|
|🏨 Best place to remain:||Chucho|
|🐟 Must attempt meals:||Ceviche|
|📅 How many days:||3-4|
|🍽️ Dinner for two:||US$20|
FAQs about La Saladita, Mexico
🏄 Is La Saladita, Guerrero, Mexico, a very good place to surf?
Yes, La Saladita in Guerrero is a good spot to surf, particularly for longboarders, providing a premier left-hand level break, which can be one of many longest waves in Mexico (light and mellow).
🚕 How to get to La Saladita, Guerrero, Mexico?
The greatest solution to get to La Saladita, Guerrero, Mexico, is to fly to Zihuataneco from Mexico City, after which take a taxi (or rent a car) and get to the village in 1 hour.
🏖️ What are the very best issues to do in La Saladita, Guerrero, Mexico?
The greatest issues to do in La Saladita, Guerrero, Mexico are browsing both on La Saladita seashore or the opposite close by seashores like Troncones and El Rancho, doing yoga, enjoyable within the pure scorching springs, and even going horse using!
🏨 Where to remain in La Saladita, Guerrero?
Well, right here we’re on the finish of my journey information to La Saladita, a hidden browsing paradise in Guerrero, Mexico. Now you understand all the things you want to know in regards to the waves there, the close by seashores, different issues to do if you’re not catching waves, how one can get there, and far more.
Now you’ve received all the data you want about La Saladita, try my guides to those superb spots to surf world wide like Chacahua, Mexico, and Taghazout, Morocco, each providing nice waves and different enjoyable issues to do!
I hope you discovered this put up helpful and that it helped you resolve if it’s the proper place for you. And if that’s the case, keep in mind my ideas earlier than going there!
It was superb to share with you my expertise and recollections. I hope you loved my weblog as a lot as I did writing it for you, and I’m right here to reply any query or doubt you may need, simply drop them within the feedback under.
For now, I want you a tremendous vacation and to catch many waves!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!