Planning a visit to some of the lovely nations in Eastern Europe? I could also be a bit biased right here (as Romania is my house nation) however nonetheless, I believe you’re in for an journey! Filled with medieval cities, gorgeous surroundings and many mountains, this place can’t be missed!
However, there are many issues to contemplate earlier than you go to Romania! And on this tremendous detailed journey information I’ve supplied all the main points from the place to go, prime issues to do right here, how one can get across the nation plus many different elements from visa necessities and prices that you could know.
At the tip I’ve additionally added a bit with the most effective locations to remain in Romania and a few motels. Which I extremely suggest reserving upfront, particularly in case you’re coming in the course of the excessive season (summertime) as they are going to promote out quick.
Okay, we’ve obtained quite a bit to speak about so let’s go!
If you’re in a rush
If you don’t have time to learn the entire submit, listed here are the highest issues to guide upfront:
1. Places to go to in Romania
If you’re getting ready for a Romanian vacation, then buckle up, as a result of we’ve obtained so many issues to speak about!
My house nation is completely full of spectacular points of interest. And to be sincere I like to recommend exploring the mountains and countryside in case you’re coming right here (particularly in case you love spending time in nature) as a result of Romania has some nice climbing trails!
But the cities are fairly superb as nicely, so I’d thought I’d make a listing of the main cities that you simply shouldn’t miss out:
Welcome to the capital metropolis! And the place I’m residing in the meanwhile! You’ll most likely arrive in Bucharest in case you’re coming by aircraft and I undoubtedly suggest spending a while right here as a result of there are lots of things to do in Bucharest from exploring the Old Town and all of the restaurants and pubs there!
You may’ve heard of this bustling metropolis as the placement of among the greatest festivals in Europe! Oh sure, Untold and Electric Castle are undoubtedly a should in case you’re visiting this lovely nation round summer season.
But there are additionally different things to do and see in Cluj Napoca! As a scholar metropolis and the unofficial capital of the Transylvania region, Cluj has many cultural points of interest and such a terrific ambiance as nicely!
Cluj Napoca would be the unofficial capital however Brasov is certainly its coronary heart! Surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains, this metropolis is among the most visited ones in Romania!
This is the place you come if you wish to spot some wild animals and go snowboarding! These are simply among the things to do in Brasov however I suppose the primary ones can be visiting all of the castles. Follow me, as I’ll discuss extra on that in part #2.
This is the primary place to go for historical past lovers! The medieval structure, the cobblestone streets, and the small-town ambiance will make you wish to by no means go away this place!
Dating again to the twelfth century, Sighisoara can be the birthplace of the well-known voivode of Wallachia (Vlad the Impaler), also referred to as Vlad Dracula!
But there are lots of different issues to find on this UNESCO World Heritage Site!
2. Top issues to do in Romania
Well, I’ve obtained an entire submit on essentially the most superb things to do in Romania, the place I give all the main points on how one can go to these points of interest. But I additionally wished to present you some transient info right here, so you’ll be able to shortly test essentially the most unmissable points of interest!
2.1 Visit Bran Castle
I suppose you all heard about Dracula’s Castle, proper? This place has put Romania on the map for many vacationers and I might undoubtedly suggest a go to there.
Well, firstly you need to know its actual identify: Bran Castle, and it’s situated in Bran Commune close to Brasov, a ravishing town in Transylvania. Make positive you get your tickets in advance for this attraction because it’s often packed!
PRICE: 50 Ron (US$10)
2.2 Take a day journey to Turda Salt Mine
If you had been hoping to catch a enjoyable day journey from one of many main cities in Romania, then you definately’re in luck as a result of I’ve obtained an incredible possibility for you!
Turda Salt Mine is among the most spectacular locations to see in Romania, one of many oldest mines on the earth, courting again to the center ages. And now guests can discover the underground salt labyrinth, see the hanging salt stalactites and have enjoyable within the amusement park.
Most vacationers go to it as a day trip tour from Cluj Napoca which is often the best means because you don’t have to fret about transportation!
2.3 See Bucovina’s Painted Monasteries
Oh sure, Romania has many historic church buildings that stood the check of time and you’ll find most of them within the North East a part of the Bucovina area (fairly near the place I used to be born).
These monasteries date again to the fifteenth and sixteenth century and they’re nice examples of Byzantine artwork!
PRICE: From 10 Ron (US$2)
2.4 Explore the Palace of Parliament
The Palace is the second largest administrative constructing on the earth after the Pentagon!
Definitely price a go to to see among the rooms there (there are 3000 in complete)!
PRICE: 40 Ron (US$9)
2.5 Chill on the Black Sea seashores
Coming throughout summertime? Then there’s no higher approach to get pleasure from your time right here than with a seaside journey!
I’ve been going to a few of these seashores since I used to be a child and located some hidden gems! And they aren’t too removed from Bucharest, the capital (round 2h away by automotive).
2.6 Go climbing within the Carpathian Mountains
If you wish to discover Romania’s lovely inexperienced hills and mountains then I like to recommend venturing across the Carpathians, which encompass Transcarpathia and Transylvania area.
There are tons to find right here, nonetheless it could be a bit overwhelming to go by your self if that is the primary time. Luckily there are many guided tours from Brasov, Cluj, or different cities in Transylvania that can take you to discover these mountains and benefit from the recent air.
2.7 Hop on a ship tour of Danube Delta’s river canals
I do know you’ve most likely thought Dracula’s Castle is among the most fun issues to see in Romania (most metropolis guides say that) nonetheless I’m right here to let you know about yet one more place that you simply may’ve missed: the Danube Delta!
This is the second largest river delta in all of Europe (and a UNESCO pure reserve website) and it’s the house of a lot wildlife together with horses and totally different fowl species.
You can see its magnificence whereas on a ship and by chance there are many tours that you could take from Bucharest and go to it!
3. How to get round in Romania
Well, in case you like journey and let’s say the entire post-communist vibe, then getting round Romania could also be an exhilarating journey for you!
All jokes apart, I believe you need to know that in contrast to different nations within the European Union, Romania doesn’t have the tremendous modernized trains and buses, which signifies that touring by public transport can gradual you down in case you’re planning to go to a number of cities.
But I all the time say that in case you test all of the routes and plan forward all the pieces will work out! So let’s see which all of the methods to get round Romania:
3.1 Traveling to Romania
Here are all of the methods you will get to Romania and what to recollect when planning your journey:
I suppose most of you’ll journey to Romania by aircraft. There are 6 large airports within the nation:
All these airports are served by low price airways like Wizz Air and RyanAir so in case you plan upfront you will get tremendous low-cost tickets, particularly in case you’re touring from one other European metropolis. And in fact firms like Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France, KLM, additionally run common flights on the Romanian airports.
NOTE: Because many Romanian individuals who reside overseas come again house for the vacations aircraft tickets are typically tremendous costly at the moment. So in case you’re planning to go to then both be ready to guide means upfront or to pay way more than the same old.
PRO TIP: Use Skyscanner to seek out the most cost effective flights in your dates!
Istanbul you’ll be able to come to Romania by practice. Of course there are extra nations from Europe you’ll be able to journey by practice, however you’ll most likely want to alter a number of trains. You can really test the Interrail website and plan your journey from there.
We even have a submit on the Interrail/Eurail Pass with all kinds of suggestions and tips so undoubtedly test it in case you’re planning to journey round by practice.
Alternatively, you may also journey along with your automotive or rent a car to go to Romania. Many individuals take highway journeys from locations like Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary, and even nations that aren’t so shut like Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia or Greece.
You’ll discover that border crossing factors are situated throughout Romania’s land borders. You can test the full-list and real-time information on the Romanian Traffic Police website. When coming into Romania, you’ll need to current your ID/passport to the border management brokers and typically open the trunk for a fast verification.
NOTE: When you’re not on highways you’ll be able to undoubtedly count on horse carts, bikers and locals from villages strolling on the roads so be sure to drive safely!
3.2 Traveling inside Romania
Let’s see how one can discover the nation and what you need to contemplate when touring between cities:
Internal flights are a good way to journey shortly across the nation. Tickets are typically fairly low-cost ranging from €50 for a single ticket on Skyscanner.
You’ll often discover flights to and from Bucharest to the main cities like Cluj Napoca, Iasi, Sibiu, Bacau, Suceava and Timișoara.
This will prevent a whole lot of time! For instance a flight from Bucharest to Cluj Napoca takes round 45 minutes. Whereas by automotive it should take you round 7h (if it’s not crowded) and by practice 10h.
As I discussed to start with, touring by public transport in Romania isn’t all the time a pleasure. Train rides particularly often take greater than they need to and the trains are fairly outdated (or classic as I wish to say).
Nonetheless, the trains listed here are less expensive than these in Central Europe, or different components of the continent so that you received’t spend an excessive amount of.
You should buy your tickets and test for routes on the CFR website and I extremely suggest shopping for them on-line, as in lots of locations (particularly smaller cities) in case you get them from the practice station you might come throughout a workers member who doesn’t communicate English (I’ll discuss extra about that in part #5)
Another tremendous low-cost possibility is to journey by bus. You can discover all the pieces from routes, costs and timetables on this website.
As the Romanian roads aren’t so superb, touring by bus could take longer than the trains however they’re an excellent possibility for smaller routes the place you’ll be able to’t discover trains.
If you’re pondering of utilizing a rental car service or driving your personal automotive to discover the nation then you need to undoubtedly contemplate this correctly and keep in mind on a regular basis you might waste on the highway.
Unfortunately Romania has few high-speed roads and highways (particularly on routes between large cities like Bucharest to Cluj Napoca). This signifies that you’ll have to make use of one lane nationwide roads which (if it wasn’t sufficient) cross by way of villages the place the pace restrict is 50 km/h.
But regardless of all this, the surroundings is fairly unimaginable. So if time isn’t a difficulty for you and also you’re fairly assured in your driving expertise, touring by automotive may very well be fairly enjoyable.
NOTE: Romania has a highway tax known as vignietta, you should purchase it on-line from gasoline stations after crossing the border checkpoint
Here are the primary highway varieties in Romania and the pace limits:
- Highways – marked with A1 in inexperienced and the pace restrict is 130km
- European roads – marked ‘E70’ with inexperienced and the pace restrict is 110km
- National roads – marked with numbers in crimson and the pace restrict is 100km
- Local roads – marked with numbers and a letter in blue
4. Best excursions of Romania
If you’re probably not considering coping with practice tickets, planning journeys and discovering the most effective routes to the points of interest across the nation then occurring excursions could also be a good suggestion. I’ve seemed on the net and located among the greatest ones so let’s test them out!
- Discover Transylvania Tour – During this 8 days tour that begins in Bucharest on the Airport, you’ll get to see Transylvania’s castles, monasteries, historic cities like Sighisoara, Brasov and a little bit of Bucharest as nicely. The worth begins from €990 and it contains transportation, lodging, guides, entrance charges to points of interest and meals.
- Classic Romania Tour – If you wish to see the main Romanian cities just like the capital, Sibiu, Cluj Napoca, Targu Mures, Sighisoara and Brasov, plus all the primary points of interest there, then I’d suggest this 8 days tour which begins in Bucharest. The tour contains transportation, lodging, guides, entrance charges to points of interest and meals and the value begins from €1500
- Village life in Transylvania Tour – If you wish to discover the rolling hills in Transylvania and go climbing round among the most superb areas within the area then be part of this 8 days tour within the Carpathian Mountains and uncover genuine villages and pure parks! The worth begin from €850 and it contains an knowledgeable information, meals, transport, motels and entrance charges to the points of interest
- Best of Romania and the Danube Delta Tour – On this 12 days tour you’ll see among the most superb websites in Romania just like the well-known Bran Castle, the Rodna Mountains, and the breathtaking Danube Delta! Starting from €2300 the prices embody meals, transport, motels and guides.
5. Language and communication in Romania
Romania’s official language is Romanian, nonetheless the nation has a number of minority languages, together with Hungarian and Romani.
Although most individuals in main cities like Bucharest, Cluj, Timisoara and Brasov largely communicate English, you might come throughout locals (particularly in rural areas, suburbs and smaller cities) that don’t know English.
That’s why I like to recommend studying a number of Romanian phrases, or writing them down on a bit of paper or in your telephone, so you’ll be able to talk in any given circumstances.
Here are some key phrases that you could be want to make use of when in Romania:
- Hi – Buna
- Please – Te rog
- Thanks – Multumesc
- Where can I discover the metro/bus/practice station? – Unde gasesc statia de metrou/autobuz/tren?
- 1 ticket for this please – As dori si eu un bilet
- Do you’re taking bank cards? – Pot sa platesc cu cardul?
- Where is the ATM? – Unde gasesc un bancomat?
- How a lot does this price? – Cat costa?
- Can you present me on a map how one can get there? – Puteti sa imi arati pe harta cum ajung acolo?
- I need assistance – Am nevoie de ajutor
If you wish to spend extra time studying a few of these phrases, then try this video that may actually aid you study some helpful phrases in your travels!
6. Visas for Romania
Although Romania is not a part of the Schengen Zone, most residents who will not be from European Union nations should apply for a visa. You can test the complete checklist of nations whose residents will want a visa to enter Romania proper here on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site.
Currently, if you’re a American, British, Australian, NZ, or Canadian citizen who’s visiting Romania you received’t want a visa nonetheless you’ll need:
- A passport that’s legitimate for greater than 3 months from the anticipated time of arrival to Romania
- Proof of ample monetary means
- A transparent and well-documented objective of go to
Although this information is at present right, visa necessities can change with out discover at any time, so all the time double test on the official site.
For anybody who requires a visa, you’ll have to apply upfront. The earliest you’ll be able to apply is 6 months earlier than you propose to journey, and no later than 15 working days upfront. You can test the entry necessities proper here and apply (solely) on the Ministry’s official website.
If you do want a visa you received’t be capable of get one on arrival, nonetheless in case you do have a sound double/a number of entries Schengen Visa can get a brief time period Visa on arrival.
You can test all the costs for Romanian visas proper here, costs begin from €80.
Romania has 3 varieties of visas:
- C Type (Short-Term) Visas: for 90 days or lower than 180 days
- D Type (Long-Term) Visa: for greater than 3 months
- Romania Transit Visa
Depending on how lengthy you’re staying within the nation, you’ll have to choose a kind of 3 varieties of visas. You can discover extra info on every sort on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
Now let’s test all of the visa necessities:
- Visa software kind
- 2 current passport-style pictures
- A sound passport
- Documents justifying the aim of go to, confirming the period of the keep, and the intention to return
- Proof of ample monetary means set by the ministry
- Travel medical insurance coverage that covers of no less than €30,000 relating to medical emergencies
7. Safety in Romania
Romania is a protected vacation spot nonetheless, as in different foregin nation that you simply’re visiting you need to take further care and watch out for pickpockets, suspicious individuals or people who appear keen to start out a battle with anybody round.
For instance there’s a widespread rip-off the place individuals strategy vacationers to distract them after which ship somebody youthful (often small youngsters) to steal stuff from you. So be extra-mindful and don’t go away your pockets or luggage open once you stroll on the streets or once you’re using the subway (particularly at rush hour when it’s tremendous crowded).
PRO TIP: I might additionally suggest utilizing apps like Uber or Bolt if you wish to get across the metropolis and keep away from the common taxi drivers when doable (particularly those in Bucharest close to the Old Town and practice station) as they’ll most likely cost you way more than the same old.
8. Costs & cash in Romania
The foreign money in Romania is Leu (RON). You will most likely see euro costs displayed as nicely, nonetheless most locations don’t settle for euros in money (and if somebody provides you an in-house change, test the official charges earlier than saying sure).
In the larger cities you’ll be able to pay by card just about all over the place and the financial institution playing cards issued by VISA, GraspCard and Maestro are broadly accepted. However in case you personal an American Express card you might contemplate bringing one other one with you as they don’t all the time work.
If you’re taking excursions or going to the country-side, mountains and smaller cities I like to recommend having some money with you, no less than 400 Ron (US$85) in case you wish to purchase souvenirs or you’ll be able to’t pay along with your card (as that’s tremendous frequent in these areas).
But in case you forgot to carry any money with you, don’t fear. There are loads of ATMs round and you may search for BCR, BRD, Banca Transilvania, Raiffeisen or ING, as these are the most typical ones.
PRO TIP: If you’ve money with you however wish to change it for the Romanian leu you’ll be able to attempt the change bureaus, that are tremendous fashionable in Romania. But, and that is tremendous vital, don’t use those within the airport as their charges are fairly dangerous.
You’ll discover the change bureaus on most streets and they’re straightforward to identify as they’ve a board which signifies the charges supplied.
Now the query that everybody is considering: Is Romania low-cost?
Yes! Compared to different nations in Europe, Romania is less expensive in the case of lodging, eating places and excursions costs. Usually vacationers spend a median of US$100 per day for lodging, transportation, meals and points of interest.
9. Best time to go to Romania
It actually will depend on what sorts of actions you’re planning on doing! Luckily, Romania provides continuous enjoyable all yr lengthy however let’s see which months work the most effective for you:
- December to March: the proper time to go to for winter sports activities, and hitting the slopes in Poiana Brasov
- April & May: our rainiest months, I don’t suggest coming throughout this time if you wish to go climbing or exploring the mountains
- June, July, August: if you wish to spend a whole lot of time by the Black Sea and discover the Danube Delta come throughout these months (and I might undoubtedly keep away from large cities because it’s means too scorching and actually not enjoyable to stroll round)
- September to November – nice time to go to the cities, starting of autumn is absolutely lovely within the cities and within the countryside as nicely
10. Travel suggestions for visiting Romania
Traveling to a spot you don’t know a lot about is usually a bit overwhelming, so I’d thought I’d make this checklist of suggestions that can assist you have essentially the most superb time in my house nation!
So let’s test them out:
- Don’t spend all of your time within the cities, you are able to do a whole lot of climbing across the nation and go to some genuine outdated villages (particularly in Transylvania)
- The practice is the most cost effective approach to journey round (though it’s gradual)
- Buy your practice tickets on-line upfront moderately than on the station because it’s often crowded
- Buy tickets upfront for the massive points of interest like Bran Castle
- Visit within the winter if you wish to go snowboarding
- If you’re a assured driver, you’ll be able to go on a highway journey across the nation because the surroundings is superb
- Try our hearty meals, it’s completely scrumptious (and the Romanian wine as nicely)
- The Vodafone sim card is the most effective for vacationers and you will get it from the supplier’s shops which you’ll find round or in procuring malls
- Drive the Transfagarasan Road in case you’re craving some journey
- Being a digital nomad in Romania is superb because the web is among the quickest in Europe
- If you’re a vegetarian who desires to eat conventional meals I might suggest zacusca, polenta, papanasi, nation bread, Romanian potato salad and eggplant salad
- You can use BlaBla Car (an app the place you’ll find individuals which can be going to the identical place as you by automotive and have a free spot) in case you want a trip to a different metropolis, and wish to make some new mates
- If you wish to befriend an area I’d suggest providing them a drink (perhaps some tuica which is a standard drink)
11. Where to remain in Romania
Well, we’re nearly achieved with this tremendous detailed information on how one can go to Romania, so I believe it’s time I confirmed you some very nice locations to remain within the nation.
I assumed I’d decide the primary 4 cities the place vacationers often keep, so you’ll be able to attain the points of interest simply:
- Luxury: The Marmorosch – This superb 5 star lodge is situated close to the town heart in Bucharest and it has a restaurant and a health heart.
- Mid Range: Intercontinental Bucharest – Cozy rooms which have ceiling-to-floor home windows? Yes, please! The lodge additionally has a wellness heart and a swimming pool.
- Budget: Capitol Hotel – Located in a 1900’s constructing, this lodge comes with superb metropolis views, a restaurant and a terrific location close to the points of interest
- Luxury: Kronwell Brasov – A gorgeous lodge that gives suites with a bath, a swimming pool and a flowery restaurant.
- Mid Range: Safrano Palace – This lodge comes with free Wi-Fi, elegant decor, and a buffet breakfast.
- Budget: Casa Chitic – This lodging provides an airport shuttle and it has spacious rooms with wood components.
- Luxury: Hotel Platinia – A snug lodge that has trendy rooms with a flat-screen television, 2 eating places, and a backyard.
- Mid Range: Golden Tulip Ana Dome – Equipped with all of the amenities you want together with a spa heart, a bar, and a restaurant, this lodge is certainly a keeper!
- Budget: Brickyard Apartments – If you’re on the lookout for one thing tremendous inexpensive then try this place that has plenty of area, a kitchen, and rooms with balconies.
- Luxury: Casa Georgius Krauss – Enjoy your keep on this distinctive place that’s set within the former home of chronicler Georgius Krauss which nonetheless has its unique frescoes! Each room has medieval-style furnishings and a personal toilet.
- Mid Range: Casa Savri – A stunning visitor home that has a solar terrace, rooms with a personal toilet and a flat-screen television.
- Budget: Casa Lily – This visitor home comes with snug rooms with a balcony, free non-public parking, and barbecue amenities.
|💰 Currency:||Leu (RON)|
|🌞 Best time to go to:||June – August|
|🌆 Capital metropolis:||Bucharest|
|🚉 Best transport possibility:||Trains|
|🏨 Average lodge worth:||US$80|
FAQs about visiting Romania
💻 What ought to I do know earlier than going to Romania?
Find out in case you want a visa to go to Romania, resolve which a part of the nation you wish to go to and plan your journeys between cities correctly (our trains are tremendous gradual).
🇷🇴 Is Romania pleasant to vacationers?
Yes! Romanian hospitality is known (as is the meals and wine) and locals are tremendous heat and love vacationers.
🤔 Is English a standard language in Romania?
In the massive cities, sure. However, in case you’re visiting the countryside you’ll most likely must know a number of phrases or use google translate to speak as individuals don’t actually communicate English there.
💰 Is Romania low-cost for vacationers?
Yes, Romania is tremendous low-cost! Everything from the meals, lodging and vacationer points of interest is fairly inexpensive in comparison with different European nations.
Well, I believe everybody feels way more assured about their journey to Romania, proper? And don’t overlook you’ve obtained an inside supply (me) and you may all the time ask me something within the feedback part beneath!
Lots to undergo so I’ll go away you to it, however earlier than I go away I wish to remind you to not overlook to guide your tickets for points of interest and motels upfront. In the height season, these promote out in a second and also you may miss your probability at seeing the well-known Dracula’s Castle! So guide shortly!
Enjoy your adventures round my lovely house nation, you’ll like it!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!